Contact Us for a Free Consultation 1 (860) 523-8783

What Do I Do If I Have Been Hit By a Car in a Crosswalk?

Crosswalks are made to give pedestrians a safe area to cross the street. By law, when a pedestrian is walking through a marked crosswalk, vehicles have to wait for the path to clear before they can move through it. As we all know, some drivers are in far too much of a hurry to follow the law, or they don't believe it applies to them. If you were exercising your right-of-way by crossing a crosswalk when you were designated to, and a driver sped into the crosswalk and hit you, you do have rights. Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Farmington, CT will fight to get you the care you need, and make sure that the driver is held fully liable for the reckless and dangerous act. We're dedicated to the recovery of our clients, that's why we don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we never charge any attorneys fees unless we win their claims. Call or contact our Hartford area personal injury law firm  now if you have any questions about how a lawyer can help your claim.

What do I do if I've been hit in a Crosswalk?

Personal Injury Lawyer Hartford, CT

If we didn't have designated crossing areas for pedestrians to cross the street, then everyone would be jaywalking. More people would be hit by cars driving down the road, and driving and walking on the road or sidewalks would be far more dangerous for everyone. That's why we have crosswalks, and that's why pedestrians are only supposed to cross the road at crosswalks. It's the designated safe area, and cars, by law, are supposed to wait until a crosswalk is clear before they can drive through it. Unfortunately, in your case, a driver decided to just not pay attention to the rules of the road and now you're injured after the car plowed into you. What can you do? How do you pursue these types of claims? Let's go over the steps and actions you should take immediately following an accident involving you and a car.

First things first, if you are injured, call 911, or have some nearby who is willing call 911. If you need medical attention, get it. Your health is the most important factor following any accident.

Secondly, if you are able, take pictures of where you were hit, the damage done to the vehicle, the damage done to you, and get eyewitness testimony if you can.

Once the authorities arrive on the scene, get an official report of what happened to improve your case. This can be used against the driver to show that they hit you while you had the right-of-way in the crosswalk.

If you do have to go to the hospital, get records of all of the procedures, tests, and diagnoses that are made. There will be bills that follow these procedures, and the hospital will require that they are paid. Make sure that you save all of the records so that these can be added to your personal injury claim.

Once the accident has passed, and your medical needs have been seen to, now is the time to start your personal injury claim. Remember, crosswalks are designated safe areas for pedestrians to cross. If you were hit while crossing, you can and absolutely should sue the driver of the vehicle that hit you. They are responsible for your injuries, they are responsible for any work you've missed, and they are also responsible for any recurring pain you now have. You have an extremely strong personal injury claim that you can pursue against them, and if you need help with your claim or if you have any questions about how a lawyer could help you with your claim, call or contact our Firm. We don't charge any fees for our consultations, and our lawyers never charge any attorneys fees unless we win your claim.


Law Offices of James F. Aspell, P.C
860-521-3808 (fax)
Mon: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Tue: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Wed: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Thu: 08:00am - 06:00pm
Fri: 08:00am - 06:00pm