"I started this firm to help people. My ideal client is someone that has worked hard all of their life, and unexpectedly find themselves in hard times. Be it a work injury, an unexpected disability, or a sudden inability to pay their bills due to job loss, divorce or illness. My promise to you is that my team and I will work our hardest to lift your load and to help you through to the better days I promise you are ahead." Jim Aspell
Principal since August 1, 2006
James F. Aspell is the principal and managing attorney of the firm which he started in 2006 following 20 years of litigation practice in a mid -size firm in Hartford, Connecticut.
Jim focuses his practice in the areas of worker's compensation and personal injury litigation, insurance subrogation law, social security disability law, personal bankruptcy, and residential real estate. Recognized by judges, Commissioners, and attorneys, Jim has been Peer Rated for his legal ability and ethics by Martindale Hubbell and has successfully brought and defended hundreds of cases at the trial and appellate level before the Connecticut Worker's Compensation Commission, and in Connecticut State , Federal and Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Courts.
Jim has been designated as a Board Certified Connecticut Worker's Compensation Specialists by the Standing Committee on Specialty Certification of the Connecticut Bar Association since the inception of the program. He has held the coveted Recommended Insurance Attorney designation from the A.M. Best Company since 2005 in recognition of his work in the defense of worker's compensation matters for various insurers, third party administrators and Connecticut municipalities. Jim was admitted to practice in the State and Federal Courts of Connecticut in 1986, The Mashantucket Tribal Court in 1991 and the United States Supreme Court in 1992.
Jim is a 1986 graduate of Western New England College School of Law and a 1983 graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University.
He has served as an adjunct faculty member in the field of Aviation Law at the University of New Haven . He is a member of the Connecticut Bar Association and a member of the Worker's Compensation Section of the Association. Jim is also a member of the Hartford County Bar Association and has served for many years on the Legal -Medical Committee. He is a member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, the National Association of Social Security Claimant's Representatives (NOSSCR) and the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA). He is a past member of the Defense Research Institute.
Jim is the Past- President of the Connecticut River Chapter of the Ohio Wesleyan Alumni Association and has served as President and in various other capacities in the Dynamic Networking Association. He has served the community as a coach and referee for the West Hartford Youth Soccer League and as Assistant Cub Master of Pack 145 in West Hartford. He is a USSF certified soccer referee and holds a 50-gross ton Master's license from the United States Coast Guard. He is a life-long resident of West Hartford where he resides with his wife and 3 children. Outside of the office Jim enjoys sailing, travel and cooking.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Bankruptcy Law
- Social Security -- Disability
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Real Estate Law
- Insurance Defense and subrogation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Workers Compensation, Connecticut Bar Association, 2000 to Present
- Connecticut, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
Western New England College School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts
Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio
- B.A. - 1983
- Major: English
- Day v. City of Middletown, 254 Conn 945 (Connecticut Supreme Court 2000)
- Reginald Holston vs New Haven Police Department (Connecticut Supreme Court)
- Beizer v. Geopfert, 224 Conn. 901 (Connecticut supreme Court 1992) (United States Supreme Court)
- Ledgecrest Associates vs. Dillman, 20 Conn. App. 821 (Connecticut Appellate Court 1992)
- Connecticut Bank & Trust Co. vs. Coffin, 212 Conn. 678 (Connecticut Supreme Court 1989)
- Marlene Cormier vs. The Macke Company (Compensation Review Board)
- Tadeusz Kalinowski v. City of Meriden (Compensation Review Board 2006)
- Golden Rule Realty, Inc.
- Urban Developers, LLC
- Hartford Estates, LLC
- Beresford, LLC
- Sixx's Place, LLC
- Extoll Property Management
- Local Subrogation Cousel: Matthiesen, Wickert
- Taylor Bean & Whitaker Mortgage
- Tummillo Enterprises
- Silver Mill Tours, LLC
- Bank of America
- Aviation Law, University of New Haven, 2001 - 2003
Honors and Awards
- Recommended Ins. Def Atty, A.M. Best Co., 2005 - Present
- Commendation, Connecticut Bar Association, 1989
- Commendation, Connecticut Bar Association, 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, Worker's Compensation Section, 1986 - Present
- Hartford County Bar Association, Member, Legal-Medical Committee, 1986 - Present
- Defense Research Institute, 2004 - 2006